Cancer Sucks

Cancer Sucks

Monday, July 11, 2011

Status

Dr. Kleinbaum reviewed the results of my most resent ultrasound and had determined that I would need to be switched to another chemo drug for approximately three cycles since the Adriamycin and Cytoxin  were not reducing my tumor as expected. I was absolutely devastated.  Chemotherapy is so awful...and exhausting...and depressing. I later decided that rather than enduring more chemotherapy that I'd just go ahead and get the mastectomy rather than the lumpectomy. I decided I was DONE with chemotherapy and the sickness that you endure after treatment.

I met with Dr. Hubbard - my surgeon - and after reviewing the results of the latest ultrasound he stated that he could do the lumpectomy and get a good result without additional chemo.  I was in tears. I could save my breast and not endure more chemo cycles.  Dr. Hubbard handed me a tissue and told me to take all the time I needed.  Hey - anyone needing a compassionate, understanding, excellent breast surgeon should contact Dr. Hubbard.  He's absolutely amazing!

So....long story short.....I am having a lumpectomy on July 20th. And will meet with a radiation oncologist to perform the radiation following my surgery.  I am on the road to remission.  I am excited about having this cancer removed from my body. Never to endure it again.  Never thought I'd be here, but glad to be considered a SURVIVOR!!

2 comments:

  1. HUGE Huge Hugs My Strong Friend ... Good thoughts to a fantastic surgery being sent your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Status updates? hope you're doing better.

    HS

    ReplyDelete